1/12/09

Meet the Team - Interview with Martha Sanchez


.
Tell us a little about yourself and your background.
My name is Martha Sanchez and I live in Honolulu, Hawaii and soon will be moving to Fort Wayne, Indiana. I'm married to Ray and recently celebrated my 8th wedding anniversary. We live with my son, Ben and his fiance, Shayna.

Have any special hobbies?
I love arts and crafts but jewelry has always been an obsession.

What is your business name and website address?
My business name is Amor De Plata, which means 'Love of Silver" in spanish. My website is http://amordeplata.com and my shop address http://amordeplata.etsy.com

How did you find out about metalclay and then start working with it?
I saw a unique piece of jewelry in an ad, clicked on it, which led me to Etsy. I read about the silver clay and started researching. This is how I started with Art Clay Silver and have been working with it for three years.

What drives you to make jewelry?
I've been designing jewelry since high school and wished there was a medium I could use to turn it into jewelry. Most of my designs were flowing soft sculptural designs.

Valentine Heart
.

.
Are you disciplined or do you go with the flow and work when you feel like it?
I'm more go with the flow and can't work when I don't feel the inspiration.

Do you do any other type of art?
I love drawing, pen and ink, painting, graphics and most types of art.

What is your art sensibility - precise or organic?
I think I'm a bit of both because some of my work is organic and some precise. I'm trying not to be such a perfectionist.

Fig Dream
.

.
When did you feel you had more confidence in your abilities?
After I took my first introduction to metal clay class.

What is your favorite tool for working with metalclay?
I don't have many toys yet, mostly use my exacto knife, paint brush and hand drill bits.

Where do you work?
I currently work at a small school desk with plastic storage bins on the desk and on each side. I just dismantled most of it for my move to Indiana.

What is your favorite thing to make?
I love making pendants, but I'm looking forward to making more earrings, rings and maybe bracelets.

Tiny Shells
.

.
Do you ever add commercial components?
Jump rings and chains along with some cubic zirconia. I tend to like simple, pure designs.

Lava Bead necklace
.

.
How do you work, and when? (for ex. assembly line or one at a time)
I tend to do one at a time with an occassional extra piece once in awhile.

Do you have any kind of creative ritual?
I really don't have one but once I get into my groove and start creating, I don't want to stop for hours on end.

How do you hold onto ideas that you don't have time to pursue NOW!
I usually do a little sketch on a post it with a couple descriptive words and arrows.

Do you ever use a sketchbook?
Yes, I have a small, red silk sketchbook that I transfer all of my post it sketches to and I date each sketch.

Reversible Wood Lentil Necklace
.

.
Do you ever teach classes and where?
I am a "Level 1 Certified Art Clay World Instructor" but I don't teach at the moment.

Do you make a living at it?
Not yet but I plan to begin this year.

Do you do custom orders?
No I do not do custom orders. The reason for this is I like to do my own art and if someone likes it, fine and if not, well that's good too. I can't make myself do something when I'm not feeling it and custom work feels like a task to me.

What are you working on currently?
I just finished some valentine pendants.

What's next on your agenda to make?
The next time I will be able to work on anything will be after my move to Indiana around the first part of February. I have so many sketches to work on, maybe some earrings and I definitely have a few rings to work on.

How do you make time for everything you want to do?
This has been one of my frustrations, no time. I have resigned my full time job, but am moving now so I look forward to plenty of time for metal clay this year.

Anything else you'd like to tell us about yourself?
I absolutely love silver and the day I discovered silver clay was one of my happiest days ever.

Thank you Martha,
It has been a pleasure getting to know you.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...